WiFi Blocks need a one-time activation process in order to join your wifi network. This guide shows you how to activate a brand new WiFi block and how to pair it with your computer.
Before starting, make sure your WiFi Block is connected to a PowerStation Block and a battery pack via USB cable.
- When the block is an Activation Mode, its LED will show two quick bursts of light spaced by 0.4 seconds of inactivity:
- Open Kitsunei creator and from the application menu select ‘Kitsunei’ --> ‘Activate WiFi Block’:
- The Activation Assistant will guide you through the steps to activate your block. If your block is powered up and blinking as described in step 2, a radio should appear online with a name similar to ‘Kitsunei-1234567’ (of your radio doesn't appear straight away, please press the 'Search Again' button until one does). Click on the name and then ‘Next’.
- Select the WiFi network you want the radio to connect to; normally this would be your Home or Institution’s network. Type the network’s password and click on ‘Activate’. Be aware that at the moment only WPA2-Personal network security is supported. Keep in mind that your computer will also need to join the same network in order to control the blocks connected to that radio.
- During the activation process, the block will attempt to connect to the selected wifi. This process takes less than 2 minutes. Once the connection is successful, you can go ahead and close the assistant.
NOTE: There have been cases where blocks fail to activate in areas where there are lots of WiFi connections available. If possible, move your laptop and blocks to a different place in your house/school and exit the Kitsunei Hub app completely (from the tray icon, right click -> Exit) and open it again before running the activation assistant one more time.
- At this point, your WiFi Block is connected to the selected wifi network, however, since you can have multiple computers running the Kitsunei Creator app, you now need to tell the block to which computer inside the network it should send its data, this process is called ‘Pairing’. To do this, make sure your computer has joined the same WiFi network as the block, then open Kitsunei Creator. A pairing window should pop up asking if you wish to pair the block with your computer; click on ‘Pair’.
Note: In a classroom setup where multiple radios may be active at the same time, we recommend snapping an LED Matrix on top of your radio and make sure the number that appears on the LED Matrix matches the one on the pairing dialog.
- Congratulations! Your WiFi Block is now active and connected to your computer. You don’t have to repeat this process again unless you wish to switch to a different WiFi network. The new radio should appear on the bottom right menu along with its connected Power Station.